An LED (Light Emitting Diode) consists of a chip of semiconducting material treated to create a structure called a p-n (positive-negative) junction.
The heatsink is what allows the high flux LED to generate much more light
LEDs are like no other conventional lighting source:
- Potentially longest life of any lighting sources
- Very high energy efficiency
- Small size and instant on allows new applications
- Produces color light directly without filtering
- Integrates well with other semiconductor electronic elements
For color lighting applications, traditional light sources use energy to create white light which then is filtered to create the desired color. The energy used to create the other colors is wasted.
LED light sources create the color directly leading to greatly improved energy efficiency.
Read a full presentation on LED light benefits and applications